Saturday, February 10, 2018

BGiME #10: Batch Painting

This issue’s project is a bit of repeat. Back in issue #4, we received our first sprue of Uruk-hai to paint, doing so using the skills and paints we had at that point. Now, a few months later (in the original release schedule, anyway), we’re given 10 more fighting Uruk-hai to prepare for the tabletop. Issue #10’s “Painting Workshop” is primarily concerned with getting these half-score models finished and ready to fight as quickly as possible.

The Uruk-hai are some of the easiest SBG models to paint. A good spray primer has them ready for their base coats in no time flat, and the majority of their armor and weapons can be dry-brushed a dark metallic. A little edging with a brighter silver paint gives the impression of sharp edges and wear, then a coat of dark flesh for skin tone and you’re ready to base them and field them. The servants of the White Hand are pretty formidable with their heavy armor and high Strength scores. I’d personally recommend them to any newcomer wanting to play the SBG quickly.

Below are the ten Uruk-hai I painted for this issue. I’ve also included a comparison photo showing one of the models I painted for issue #4 alongside a more recent paint job. In this case, you can see I’ve started doing a little more work on my bases, using an Earthshade wash on the sand to make it look more like soil and not a day at the beach for the Uruk-hai. The newer paint job is also brighter. I believe this stems from me using a lighter metallic as a base and instead washing the metallic with a sepia wash to age the armor. The differences aren’t too great, however, and I can field both on the same table without them distracting from one another.





No comments:

Post a Comment